The service station buiding will be rehabbed over the next yearr. It will be for rent and would make a great root beer stand, cafe, shop or microbrewery. Could see it attracting car collectors or motorcycle enthusiasts. Large parking lot. Views of the Mississippi River. Hillside property behind the building extends up to the alley between this property and the Catholic Church. Historic beer aging caves from 1864 still in place but closed off. Gasoline tanks removed per EPA standards. Historic stairstep street is the southern property boundary.
INFORMATION FROM "Alma On The Mississippi"
215 South Main Street: "One story frame service station building covered with stucco. Gable roof with cornice returns." Add-on steel building on the north-side covers original north exterior wall & windows but could easily be removed.
Built on the site of the original Alma Brewery. Original large beer aging cave still remains in the hillside behind the building. The Alma Brewery was established in 1864 by John A Hunner, the brewery was operated for 2 years in conjunction with the boarding house known as the Wisconsin House. Sold to William Briggeboos and he operated the brewery until 1891 when he retired. In 1924 the old brewery building was razed and all that remains today is the large beer aging cave.